Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Haiti from a Student’s Perspective

Haiti is an amazing place. It is very beautiful. We stepped off the plane and it was so sad. Children on the street yelling, “one dollar!” “God bless!” I just wanted to scoop them up and give them everything. We had to take an hour and a half drive to the town we were serving. The road was so bumpy. We got to the village and you hear all the kids yelling and chasing us. There are great people here. They are the nicest people you will ever meet. They will give anything for you. We met Daniel, Mark, Markson, Ensil, Beritone, and Alex. They all will help you if you need any thing. They are also very funny. God has touched my heart so many times this trip. Seeing all the kids, watching them live their lives. If it would be me, I would not make it. They walk with 50 pound things on their head without a problem. Half the children are hungry and the other half get fed by Lifeline. We were helping feed the kids at their lunch time and the difference between the sponsored school kids, and the public kids was amazing. All the school kids were organized and tidy, eating with spoons and manors. Then the populous kids came and it broke my heart. They were eating with there hands and spilling food all over themselves. I saw one girl dropped her food on the dirt floor and pick it up and put it on her plate. I wanted to get her a whole new plate but I knew I couldn’t. we played soccer with a bunch of Haitians and they were really good. Me and another girl are gymnasts. None of them knew what that was so we started doing flip’s and stuff. We drew a crowd. It felt good to make someone’s day.

We hiked up a mountain today. We have made benches for the past few days for the mountain people so we brought them up today. We hiked and someone else brought the benches up on the truck. We were hiking and a girl got sick. She decided to tough it out. She is a really good role model. We all prayed over her and she got better almost instantly. She was still feeling sick when we started again but better than before. It took us two hours to get up the mountain. We got to the school and had a devotional. We were praying over a girl and her family and I started feeling sick. They instantly started praying over me, I felt very loved and special, the color restored in my face and I felt a little better. God does wonders! The girl who was sick and I rode back down in the truck and instantly fell asleep. I woke up and built more benches. I felt A LOT better. We built benches and painted class rooms. Dinner was delicious! We had a ‘meeting’ time and Donald Jr. answered a lot of questions. Tomorrow is market day and also Haitian food dinner. It is so exciting! Haiti is an awesome place. You should come sometime!


- Hannah, age 13

1 comment:

  1. Blessed are the feet of those that share good news. You are bring the Haitian people Jesus in the flesh. You are bringing them true love, God's love. I will continue to pray blessings and safety over you and the team. May the Lord bless you!!!!

    ReplyDelete